1. What is the purpose of the new addressing system?  The new addressing system enables emergency response personnel and delivery services to easily locate a residence simply by reading the address.
  2. How do I know if I need a new physical address?  Every residence and business in West Virginia is assigned a new physical address.
  3. How do I get a new physical address?  You may call the Addressing office, if you are a resident or landowner in Lewis or Gilmer counties at the contact information provided below.  At times I am out of the office working, if I do not answer, please leave a name and telephone number where I can reach you.  I will call back as soon as possible.  Or, if you prefer, you may e-mail questions to addressing@LCE-911.com, but please, if you e-mail requests, leave a name and phone number. Before you call, it is helpful to know the name of the road you live on, your nearest neighbor’s physical address (many people have their physical address posted in front of their house.  If you do not know your nearest neighbor’s physical address, then the description of your neighbors both before and after you is also beneficial), your old HC or Rural Route Number, which side of the road your property is located on, about how far up the road your property is located, and any additional information you think may be helpful.
  4. How long does it take before I get a new physical address?  Once you have contacted the addressing office and requested a physical address, it may take up to a week before you are notified of your new address by mail.  In some cases it may take longer.
  5. Do I have to use my new address to receive mail?  If you have a PO Box you may continue to use it.  Those having mail delivered at their homes, such as HC and RR’s may begin using their new address to receive mail upon notification of their new physical address.
  6. What do I do with the address notification sheet once I get it?  Keep it for your records!  You will need it when you renew your license, voter’s registration, and for various utilities, etc.  Also, post the number in front of your house, or if your house is not visible from the road, post the number beside the driveway that leads directly to your house.  This will enable emergency personnel to find you easily and quickly.  Most local hardware stores (Wal-Mart, Tractor Supply, etc.) carry the requested 3” numbers and reflective backgrounds.
  7. Will my address change again?  Once you’ve received your new physical address, it should not change under normal circumstances.  We are however human and do make mistakes.  When you receive your address, you should look it over to be sure no mistakes have been made before converting everything over to it.    The Post Office is notified at the same time the residents are.  The PO also checks for errors in new addresses.  NOTE:  If your existing driveway is used to provide access to a second structure, your address will change.
  8. How do I know if my address is correct?  When checking for errors, make sure the description of the structure is correct, the phone number, if you have one, is correct, and the old box along with PO Box, if you have one, numbers are correct.  Structures located on the left side of the road are assigned numbers ending in an odd number, for instance 14897.  The number 7 indicates the structure is on the left.  Structures located on the right side of the road are assigned numbers ending in an even number, for instance 14898.  The number 8 indicates the structure is on the right.  The third, fourth and fifth digits coincide with how many miles a structure are from the point at which the addressing begins.  Take for example 14897, 8 is the third digit, 4 is the fourth digit, and 1 is the fifth digit.  By looking at the house number 14897 emergency response personnel know the structure they are responding to is 14.8 miles from the intersection where the addressing begins.  The directions provided on the pink notification form are addressing directions only.  These directions direct you to the location the addressing starts, usually an intersection.  Also, all persons residing and/or receiving mail at that residence should be included on the slip.  If you have your mail delivered to your house already, your zip code should remain the same.  If you are putting up a new box and are unsure what zip code to use, please contact your local post office to get your zip code.
  9. What do I do if there is not a sign marking my road?  If your road is a county route and the sign is missing or incorrect please call the WV Dept of Highways.  Have directions to that intersection available, when you call.
  10. Does my private drive need to be named?  Private Drives that provide access to two or more structures or are 700’ in length are to be named.  If your drive needs to be named, you may contact the addressing office.  The landowners, to whom the private drive provides access, are required to agree on a road name that does not already exist in the county and, upon approval, post a road sign indicating the new road name.  You will be notified of your new physical address by mail.
  11. What do I need to do if I have a physical address?  We ask that residents that have already been assigned a physical address to call the addressing office, or visit www.Lewis-GilmerE-911.com and provide us with your current landline phone number and any changes to the description of your residence (i.e. painted your house a different color or if you’ve added shutters, etc), or any additional occupants that may live at the same address. 

Lewis ~ Gilmer Addressing & Mapping
201 Orchard Street
Weston, WV 26452
269-6567 or 462-4346
Monday – Friday
8:30 am – 4:00 pm

The new city style, physical addressing project has been in process since 1996.  It is an ambitious project that ultimately benefits every person residing, working, visiting or just passing through.  We do understand this change has its inconveniences, and we would like to thank the residents for their cooperation with the project.  If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to call, e-mail, or write.